Friday, October 19, 2007

Three point seven, baby!!!

I had to post again...

I was on the phone with my mom checking on me when I got another call. Mom excused herself and wished me a good day.

On the other line was Dr. Lee, my oncologist. I wished her a good morning and mentioned that I was intending to call her later today to see if the results from my most recent bloodwork had come back. They had and the results were very, very good.

I am not anemic and my kidney and liver functions are normal. Those weren't the factors I was interested in though so I asked about the CEA (CarcinoEmbryonic Antigen) counts. On my mind was the last number I'd heard which was 19; a borderline indication that metastatic disease was on the move... cancer spreading, in layman's terms. Seriously sick people have CEA counts above 100 while normal, healthy people count only 1 or 2.

Well, as of this past Tuesday my CEA count is down to 3.7.

THREE POINT SEVEN!

Hallelujah!!!

7 comments:

bySarah said...

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chacha / Jen said...

That's great news! Awesome!

Heidi said...

3.7- what are you Superman? I bet Hurley had some paw in this...

Mauren Mureaux said...

YES! That is fantastic news!! Thanks for sharing.

Michele said...

Great news!!! Now go on vacation! Somewhere relaxing. Lay around and enjoy yourself! You SO deserve it!

Anonymous said...

Whoo hoo! You are done and it worked! Remember the moment when you heard that 3.7....it made you feel like the past 6 weeks were at least not in vain! Your CEA might even decrease more over the next few weeks! You'll have more chemo after surgery, but just remember this moment and know that it worked....I hope that it will help you get through the rest.

Glad that you are done with this! Although, the thought of going anywhere in Mexico and possibly risking "Montezuma's Revenge" after your recent treatments sounds like something that I would avoid! But, enjoy your vacation whereever you go!

You'll start feeling better already, at least mentally, on Tuesday and Wednesday after you realize you don't have to make the daily trips and take those pills! Another 2 weeks and you'll probably feel great!

Good luck!

Greg in WI (too lazy to create a blogger account but saw your link on Colon Club)

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.