Wednesday, June 3, 2009

I miss you, Brie.



I apologize for the cliche but I wanted to spend just a little time reflecting upon Brie's passing.

I admit I am still angry though I am immediately tempered and comforted by both Jody and Alex's words from those dark days last year. No, my faith comes with an acknowledgement that God's hands are not the only forces at work. Yes, Brie is alright and some day we all will be too.

Not today though. Not yet anyway... but it's coming.

Remembering now scrapes that scab away and it hurts all over again. Yet, whatever the Reason, that Will I've hitched my star to as Perfect, if I really beleive it is True then I'm still here for some reason no matter what I'm feeling now.

Part of it must be to honor Gabrielle's memory and to support her Mom and her brother as my friends.

Through a strange coincidence I've been able to pledge some money to the Kimmel Center at Johns Hopkins; the place where Brie was cared for last year. We thought it was a miracle to have a place with doctors here close to home almost in direct connection with the hospital in Ireland where she first fell sick. I chalk it up to Providence again that one of the editors at a car magazine I subscribe to will be racing and counting laps just an hour or so from home to raise funds for the Center. It was his car and the articles following his build in the magazine that encouraged me to buy the BMW I'm still chipping away at. I've made my pledge in honor of Brie.

I am hopeful to be able to make the race over the weekend of June 20-21st. If you would like to join me, please do not hesitate to ask. If you would like to make a pledge, you can do so at Laps for Life. The driver/editor I'm sponsoring is newly wedded, Scott Lear, the Club Editor for Grassroots Motorsports Magazine. Pledges are per lap for the race which is expected to be between 10 and 15 laps; the race is the most laps within the set time.

In closing, let me say how thankful I am for having known Brie even for such a short time. Let me also ask for your extra special prayers for comfort and care for her mom, Holly, her brother, Alex, her dad, Mark, and those others whom were closest to Brie. We are all reminded of her bright smile and sassy attitude today and though there may be tears left, her smile is still unstoppable... don't even try to resist it. :')

No comments: