Friday, April 25, 2008

the home stretch...

'Just got home from a post-surgery followup with my oncologist. I told her how things were going and that I plan to increase the water and fiber in my diet. I need to make sure that I do so that things downstairs continue to improve. We talked about another PET/CT scan at/near the end of treatment and, if the same uptake shows up downstairs, we'll go in for another colonoscopy to see what's what. (Like I said before, I don't think I can do this all over again... so I'm praying it goes away, completely.) We negotiated a restart date for chemo and agreed upon May 5th. That will be a Monday instead of my old Tuesday date, so I'll be missing my dinners out with my pals. No biggie.

That date makes my last chemo round the week of July 13-19. It seems so far off, but I'll get there. That date will also be just a month shy of when this all started. Talk about a year in the life of! I don't know what I'll do, but I think there may be a party.

A little closer though that date will also leave me free for some extracurricular activities.

Jody will be helping her friend Jolene at the Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival the weekend of the 3rd and 4th. Jolene is in the process of assuming ownership of a local knitting supply store and is hoping to kick off her tenure with success at the festival. I will probably tag along to help out too.

I am anxiously looking forward to the weekend of the 17th and 18th to get out of the house and camp with my track friends at the second V-Dub Deliverance weekend track event. I'm not planning to do much more than camp and socialize, but if I'm feeling good, I may try for a ride-along. I will bring my helmet just in case. ;)

Meanwhile, I'm trying to get out of the house more often now that I've got some confidence. The weather has been great but opening windows and puttering around the yard has not been enough. Yeah, the chemo will knock me down a bit but I know just how much and I'm sure I'll get through.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Spring has sprung and life goes on right John? Cool. And maybe we get to put faces to names at Sheep and Wool?

Very cool.